Halloween is just around the corner. Do you have a costume for your little one yet? No? O.k. Don't panic. There's still time. Really. I promise. Even if you are reading this post Halloween morning, you still have time.
This simple sandwich costume can be made in an hour (maybe less if you are quick at cutting out patterns). You don't even have to sew if you don't want to. Just use fabric glue instead.
How to make a simple sandwich costume:
1. Start by printing out the patterns for the sandwich parts found here. Then, cut them out of felt.
2. Pin each "sandwich bread middle" to a "sandwich bread crust."
3. Sew the two pieces together 1/4 inch from the edge of the "sandwich bread middle."
4. Stack one piece of lettuce, the slice of cheese, the tomato, and one slice of bread so that each shows at least a little. Pin this stack to the front of a plain t-shirt in your child's size.
5. Sew the stack of sandwich parts to the t-shirt 1/2 inch from the edge of the "sandwich bread middle." Remember to push the back of the t-shirt out of the way, so that you don't sew it to the front of the t-shirt. While you are sewing, check frequently to make sure that the t-shirt hasn't folded over itself anywhere underneath the sandwich (This happened to me, so I got to spend some quality time with my seam ripper).
6. Flip the t-shirt over. Stack the second piece of lettuce under the second piece of sandwich bread and pin it to the back of the t-shirt.
7. Just like you did with the front, sew this stack of sandwich parts to the t-shirt 1/2 inch from the edge of the "sandwich bread middle." Again, remember not to sew the front and back of the t-shirt together and avoid sewing any folds into the t-shirt.
You're all done! Now, wasn't that easy?
Did you order that sandwich to go?
Just in case you missed that pattern here it is again: